Sunday 29 January 2012

First Post!

I thought i would begin by giving a bit of context and background behind my little adventure. For those who know me well, you'll know I've been obsessed by the Olympics Games for years and let us be clear: I'm not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination nor do i follow sports beyond the general headlines....I just get really emotional and passionate when i think about the Olympics because they are in my mind the only thing on earth and probably in our entire history that really federates people and brings them together...





It's not art, money, philosophy or religion that does this, and while that might be a sad, at least sports does allow us for 2 weeks every 4 years, to take a breather from all the problems and simply enjoy healthy human competition. The Ancient Greeks actually had runners go from warring city to warring city to declare the sacred Olympic truce and everybody actually dropped theirs arms, trooped off to Olympia to watch the naked guys run in mud, fight and throw sticks and other things.  






So yes, many of you make fun of my slight obsession, citing facts like the Games are just as politicized or commercial as any else, from the Black Power statements to major sponsors, and yet, i've yet to find somebody who is reluctant to watch the Opening Ceremony and does not recognized the Games are centered on human physical performance. I actually think it's because we are evaluating what makes us animals like the rest of the planet inhabitants that the Games are such a success. Arguable i'm sure.


woo, first post done... promise i 'll get better pics next time.



1 comment:

  1. Is the next post gonna be about corruption in the wonderful IOC-bisounours world? Ouch...lolo your such a cynical, mean person, I hate you! Anyhow...enjoy the experience & see you soon!

    ReplyDelete